Thursday, August 03, 2006

Don't Pass Them By

Don't Pass Them By

Down by the corner on the side of a busy street
Stood a disheveled old lady with a sign "Will Work to Eat"
A well-dressed executive hurriedly passed her by
She said, "God bless you, sir!" and I knew not why.
As he climbed into his shiny new Rover,
I thought, "How could he pass this poor soul over"?
She continued her stance with the sign held high
A stirring in my heart, I wanted to cry.
Another passerby approached the same place
Greeting them with the same sweet smile on her face
They continued on their way never once looking back
Then she bent over and opened a brown paper sack
She retrieved an old worn Bible and sat down to rest
Reading intensively, as if preparing for a test
Forgetting destinations, I observed this precious soul
Wondering why life had dealt her such a heavy toll
She greeted me with a warm special smile
"Please come, sit with me just for a little while"
So I sat down beside this woman clothed in faded blue
She asked, "Do you know Jesus and how much he loves you?
"Out of an encompassing love
He suffered upon a tree
"He shed his blood, He paid the price
"That set his children free"
"He overcame death and arose on day three"
Jesus lives! Yes, he lives in you and me.
The sins of the world he took through the veil
And released us from the bondage of an eternity in hell"
She continued to talk of his wondrous love,
When suddenly like a miracle sign from above
A dove appeared, with something stuck in its claw
wrestling it loose with its beak, this is what we saw!
A weathered $100 bill lay crumpled at our feet,
"Praise Jesus"! she cried, "we can get something to eat"!
Reaching down, I picked it up, placing it in her tiny hand,
She said, "No Hon, you keep it, my needs are not that grand".
"A bit of nourishment today to take me to the next,"
At that point, I began to feel bewildered and perplexed.
How could this tattered soul be so humble and kind?
Thoughts of injustice raced through my mind.
"Come home with me, please, I have an extra bed",
"Its nothing fancy but a warm place to lay your head"
That was a few years ago, and I thank the Lord above,
For a special gift that blessed my life with unconditional love
A Grandmother, Mother, Sister, a Friend indeed,
Always there to comfort and help out when in need
But the greatest gift that's really blessed my home the most
Is her love for my savior, Jesus Christ, Lord of Host.
Thank you, Jesus, for not letting me pass her by
and thank you for sending the dove from the sky
Glory Hallelujah, for giving this blessing to me
Thank you for your gift of love at the Tree on Calvary.

Copyright © 1999 Deborah Nuckles-Honea
All rights reserved. Please do not copy or reprint without express
permission

No comments: